a dreadful fire

On Monday last at the General Quarter Sessions for the Peace, held for this Borough, John Davis, convicted of stealing a quantity of needles out of the shop of Mr. Bracebridge, grocer, was ordered to be imprisoned for six weeks and publickly whipt; Sarah Irish, convicted of stealing a cloak was ordered to be publickly whipt and imprisoned for three weeks. Another young lad for stealing a great coat was ordered to be privately whipt.
++On Thursday morning last, about three o’clock, a dreadful fire broke out in a stable belonging to Mr. William Clarke, carrier, in this town, which burnt for some time with great fury, and totally consumed the same, but was happily extinguished before it communicated to any other house or outhouses, though adjoining the Lion and Lamb, and Dolphin Inn stables, also to the outhouses of Mr. Partridge, a grocer, whose warehouse, close to the stable wall, was filled with pitch, tar, oil, hemp, and other combustible matter, and above stairs several barrels of gunpowder. Mr. Chambers, Mayor of this Borough, was very active and vigilant on the occasion, not only in assisting to bring the Engines, but in giving directions and preserving order among the populace; as was Captain Lewis of the dragoons, who caused the drum to beat to arms, and with the assistance of the soldiers, contributed greatly to the preservation of the adjoining buildings. Mr. Partridge, Mrs. Partridge, with a young child, Mr. Jackson, a gentleman who lodges there, the maid of the house, &c., upon the first alarm, ran naked into the street, and with their cries raised the neighbourhood. During the time the fire was at the height, and when every instant the powder was expected to blow up the house, Mrs. Partridge burst open the powder room door, and other persons following her, she got it removed.
++This accident is said to have been occasioned by one of Mr. Clarke’s servants leaving a lighted candle in the stable, sticking against the wall.
++On Monday the 29th of December last died in our County Gaol, the noted Martha Kelly, who having for a number of years followed the calling of taking horses from waggons, insomuch that her name became famous, and was at one time the terror of all the waggoners and farmers in this and several adjacent counties, baffling all the efforts and overpowering every thing that stood before her, till encountering with Major Burleton, she was stopt in her career, and the county rescued from their fears by her being committed to Bridewell on 27th August 1762, from which place she found bail (and again got at liberty) to appear at the next General Quarter Sessions of the Peace for the said county, which on the 5th of October following committed her to the above gaol, where she died as aforesaid.